Collectively serving a broad constituency through planning
Company: Washoe County
Industry: Government — Nevada
Washoe County is a growing area located along the eastern slopes of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in western Nevada. The county covers an area of 6,600 square miles in the northwest section of the State bordering California and Oregon and has a population of approximately 410,000. The county seat is the City of Reno, the third largest city in Nevada. Other communities include Sparks and Incline Village, at Lake Tahoe.
Need: To engage elected officials, 3,000 employees and the community in setting the strategic direction for the County, as well as committing to a consistent strategic management process.
Service: Strategy Development
- Engagement from the public in the planning process.
- Achievement of the strategic priorities that the Board of County Commissioners set forth.
- Continuity in the strategic planning process from the County to the departments.
- Collaboration agreement between departments to eliminate silos.
- Buy in from all Board members, elected officials and department heads.
- Connection of the strategic plan to employee development plans through an effective cascade of strategic priorities to personal goals.
- Establish implementation management: task force/strategy group meetings with chairmen and materials (instruction documents, calendar, management of collecting the information, status reports).
Solution: The Government of Washoe County, which oversees a $1 billion budget annually, selected M3 to reinstate and manage the organization’s strategic planning process. M3 facilitated Board retreats and the development of a strategic plan for the Board of County Commissioners. Focus groups were conducted to collect SWOT type data from numerous departments. Additionally M3 facilitated strategic plans for the following departments within the county based on the Board of County Commissioners overall plan:
- Washoe County Parks & Open Space. Reno, NV. Government
- Washoe County Public Defender's Office. Reno, NV. Government
- Washoe County Sherriff’s Office. Reno, NV. Government
- Washoe County Management Services. Reno, NV. Government
- Washoe County Assessors. Reno, NV. Government
- Washoe County Finance. Reno, NV. Government
- Washoe County District Attorney. Reno, NV. Government
- Washoe County Social Service. Reno, NV. Government
- Washoe County Registration of Voters. Reno, NV. Government
Result: Through a collaborative and consistent process, strategies and actions were developed with the input of citizens, the Board of County Commissioners, and county staff. With implementation and collaboration, the county was provided a full-force mechanism to keep their strategic objectives in line with management processes.